The objects of the society shall be the cultivation and promotion of the study and practice of the sciences of ophthalmology and to promote social contacts and mutual regard and respect amongst the Ophthalmologists
- Promoting clinical, experimental, community, and operational research in Ophthalmology.
- Promoting, teaching, training and continuing education in ophthalmology. Establishing and maintaining reference libraries and furnishing them with books, reviews, magazines, publication of journal, audio & video tapes relating to Ophthalmology, and allied subjects.
- Raising finances through subscriptions, contributions, donations from members and non-members and creating special funds to run the activities of the society.
- Co-operation and co-ordination with other medical and scientific disciplines.
- Ensuring ethical practice and professional conduct of its members as laid down by the society from time to time.
- Making bye-laws, rules and regulations and to delete, add, amend or alter the same as and when necessary.
- Instituting awards, orations, prizes, fellowships, studentships and research grants.
- Affiliation of the Maharashtra Ophthalmological Society to All India Ophthalmological Society.
- Undertake health education to prevent visual impairment and control blindness. Promoting all such activities and doing all such other things as may be incidental to or conducive to the attainment of the aims and objectives of the Society